Sunday 19 November 2017

DOWNWARD SPIRAL

Time and time again,
Love has been picked, poked, cut open, stitched up, torn open again,
Examined and reexamined.
It has been weighed against fame, careers, ambitions, money.
Alas!
It has been found to weigh so much less.
Hence, it's failure.

So like most women before me,
I analyzed love subjectively,
I weighed it against my goals, my career......
Hell! I weighed it against everything that put food on my table,
Clothes on my back, boots on my feet,
Confidence on my hip, money in my wallet, and peace on my mind.
Imagine my comfort at discovering it's negligible value!
Love was suddenly meaningless, useless,
Unworthy of my egotistical heart, too silly to feed my clever mind.

And so,
Love fell from the top of the list, to the bottom of the well,
Down below in the still darkness,
Where it joined retirement, old age and death,
Tragedies I would deal with, hopefully -
NEVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment